10 Inspirational Quotes by Alan Turing
01. MATHEMATICAL REASONING may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.
02. A man provided with paper, pencil, and rubber, and subject to strict discipline, is in effect a UNIVERSAL MACHINE.
03. SCIENCE is a differential equation. RELIGION is a boundary condition.
MACHINES take me by surprise with great frequency.
04. May not MACHINES carry out something which ought to be described as thinking but which is very different from what a man does?
05. The idea behind DIGITAL COMPUTERS may be explained by saying that these machines are intended to carry out any operations which could be done by a human computer.
06. I believe that AT THE END OF THE CENTURY the use of words and general educated opinion will have altered so much that one will be able to speak of machines thinking without expecting to be contradicted.
07. We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that NEEDS TO BE DONE.
08. We do not wish to penalise the machine for its inability to shine in beauty competitions, nor to penalise a man for losing in a race against an aeroplane. The CONDITIONS of our game make these disabilities irrelevant.
09. Presumably the CHILD-BRAIN is something like a note-book as one buys it from the stationer’s. Rather little mechanism, and lots of blank sheets.
10. A COMPUTER would deserve to be called INTELLIGENT if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human.