40 Inspirational Quotes by Martin Luther King
01. An individual has not started LIVING FULLY until they can rise above the narrow confines of individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of humanity.
02. We have adopted in the MODERN WORLD a sort of a relativistic ethic…
03. TRUE PEACE is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice.
04. If you have WEAPONS, take them home; if you do not have them, please do not seek to get them. We cannot solve this problem through retaliatory violence.
05. I feel that SEGREGATION is totally unchristian, and that it is against everything the Christian religion stands for.
06. Men often HATE each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don’t know each other; they don’t know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated.
07. MAN is man because he is free to operate within the framework of his destiny. He is free to deliberate, to make decisions, and to choose between alternatives.
08. Today it is no longer a choice between VIOLENCE and nonviolence; it is either nonviolence or nonexistence.
09. Sometimes it’s necessary to go BACKWARD in order to go forward.
10. We must meet hate with love. We must meet physical force with SOUL FORCE.
11. We never get anywhere in this world without the FORCES of HISTORY and individual persons in the background helping us to get there.
12. It is love that will save our world and our CIVILIZATION, love even for enemies.
13. A second thing that an individual must do in seeking to LOVE his ENEMY is to discover the element of good in his enemy, and everytime you begin to hate that person and think of hating that person, realize that there is some good there and look at those good points which will over-balance the bad points.
14. There’s another reason why you should love your enemies, and that is because HATE distorts the personality of the hater.
15. The command to love one’s enemy is an absolute necessity for our survival. Love even for enemies is the key to the solution of the problems of our world. JESUS is not an impractical idealist; he is the PRATICAL REALIST.
16. FORGIVENESS does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on an evil act. It means, rather, that the evil act no longer remains as a barrier to the relationship.
17. The darkness of RACIAL INJUSTICE will be dispelled only by the light of forgiving love.
18. If you can’t fly, run; if you can’t run, walk; if you can’t walk, crawl; but by all means KEEP MOVING.
19. Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in HEALTHCARE is the most shocking and inhumane.
20. HISTORY is a GREAT TEACHER. Now everyone knows that the labor movement did not diminish the strength of the nation but enlarged it. By raising the living standards of millions, labor miraculously created a market for industry and lifted the whole nation to undreamed of levels of production. Those who attack labor forget these simple truths, but history remembers them.
21. The TIME is always right to do what’s right.
I Have a Dream
23. Ultimately a genuine LEADER is not a searcher for consensus, but a molder of consensus.
24. To end the humiliation was a start, but to end POVERTY is a bigger task.
25. The best way to SOLVE any PROBLEM is to remove the cause.
26. Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid THINKING. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.
27. Human SALVATION lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.
28. The ultimate MEASURE of a MAN is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
29. We know through painful experience that FREEDOM is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
30. We should never forget that everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was “LEGAL” and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was “illegal.”
31. I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will DIE FOR, he isn’t fit to live.
32. NONVIOLENCE is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time — the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to violence and oppression.
33. The rich must not ignore the poor because both rich and poor are tied in a single garment of destiny. All life is INTERRELATED, and all men are interdependent.
34. It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence; it is either nonviolence or NONEXISTENCE.
35. If PHYSICAL DEATH is the price that some must pay to free their children and their white brothers from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive.
36. Together we can and should unite our strength for the wise preservation, not of races in general, but of the one race we all constitute – the HUMAN RACE.
37. We must either learn to live TOGETHER as brothers or we are all going to perish together as fools.
38. I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. A true REVOLUTION of VALUES will soon cause us to question the fairness and justice of many of our past and present policies.
39. DANTE once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.
40. Don’t let anybody make you think God chose AMERICA as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world.