November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996
- American astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science communicator in astronomy and other natural sciences.
- Contributions to the scientific research of extraterrestrial life, including experimental demonstration of the production of amino acids from basic chemicals by radiation.
- Sagan assembled the first physical messages sent into space: the Pioneer plaque and the Voyager Golden Record, universal messages that could potentially be understood by any extraterrestrial intelligence that might find them.
- He published more than 600 scientific papers and articles and was author, co-author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Received numerous awards and honors, including the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal.
– Biography –
– Get Inspired –